Monday, February 9, 2009

One smart girl!



For those of you who don't know, Nadia is a little smartie. She continues to amaze us every day, every week, every moment, with some new word or sign or discovery.



Today was a great day. She woke up early but in a good mood. Bryan got her ready while I slept in a few extra minutes and then took my time getting up. Both of us were sluggish, being a Monday morning and all, and she was a bundle of energy. I gave a call to Jaci, my wonderful mother-in-law, and we decided to go and weigh in again together at LA Weight Loss. Her suggestion was that Nadia would stay at their house with Grandpa while she and I ran our errand. Perfect! Grandpa just got back from a trip and would definitely love to "hang out".



So, I dropped her off, we ran to LA, then to Sentry, and returned to find Grandpa completely enraptured with his granddaughter! Jim was full of stories of the new things he saw, new words and actions he had yet to hear and see, and he was just giddy with all things Nadia. We shared our stories of the latest things we noticed, including all the things that had just recently happened while he was out of town!



And of course, as our time ended, the three of us realized Miss Nadia was sleepy. She helped put her books and toys away, was patient in getting into her "warm clothes" as I call them, and we got in the car and headed home. This was all very cute, but the best part of our morning was yet to come.



We pulled into our driveway and I could hear Nadia say, "side" for "outside". I said, "Yes, honey, we have to go outside." I opened the door and leaned in, grabbed the bag of groceries from the driver's side of the car, with just enough time to hear her say, "Hi!" I went to the other side of the car to get Nadia and my purse, and she tells me, "buckle" and "up" as I bring her out of the car. As she reaches my hip, she tells me "beep! beep!" and points at my keys. I hand her the keys and point to the button that locks the door and sets the alarm. I say, "ok, you do the beep beep" and she pushes the button once to lock the car door. Then I ask, "Again?" and she leans forward, take the keys in her hands, and pushes the button a second time to set the alarm! We get inside the house, and I let her climb the stairs as she says, "up" over and over again with each step. She gets to the top, turns around, and tells me "nigh-night"... I say, "Ok, honey, you go to your room, Momma will meet you there." I put the bag of groceries in the front corner of the kitchen as she walks down the hallway to her room. As I round the corner and look in, I see she is patiently waiting at the end of her crib for me.



She gives me the sign for "clothes" which was telling me to take off her winter suit. She says, "up, please" and I pick her up. I grab her blanket and her binkie (that awful binkie!) and start to sing, "Leaving on a Jet Plane" Peter, Paul and Mary-style. She looks me square in the eyes and puts her fingers gently to my mouth. (Ok, I'll stop singing!) I immediately stop, mid-phrase, and lay her down in the crib. I put the blanket up to her chin, and with binkie in her mouth, she tells me "Thank you". She fell asleep immediately.



Are you crying yet? I am!


Here are some things she has learned this week:


--"Jaci" for Grandma Jaci. The best timing of this was when she screamed it into the office at LA Weight Loss while Grandma Jaci was talking to a counselor!


--"Teese" for Therese. She pulled this out, as well as the sign we created for Therese, in the car on the way to Cottage Grove. We said, "No, honey, we're not on the way to see Auntie Therese." I called her right away to see if Nadia would keep saying it, and she could barely hear it through the phone but she kept it up!


--"LOUIE!" We spent last Friday night at George and Lisa's and Nadia had a lot of fun with all the little doggies, even yelling for Louie each time he ran away!


--"wi-wi" for wipe, which Nadia can now do for herself if she makes something "messy" (thank you, Jaci, for showing me this!)


--she has figured out how to go DOWN stairs finally! She does not like to go backwards, she likes to sit on each one, and say "sit" and then put her feet down so she can "slide" to the next.


--This morning she told me "pee!" and I said, "Ok, let's go to the bathroom!" She pointed to the toilet, lifted the lid, and just looked in... I don't know if this meant she had a pee diaper or not! But I am definitely going to get the potty and a pair of "pretty panties" this week! Nadia knows the difference between poop and pee and tells me what she has in her diaper before I go to open it. This is good, except for when she has wet poop and tries to tell me it's pee... Then I'm just disappointed I don't get to change an easy diaper!


Remember, Nadia is only 16 months old!


We are so incredibly blessed to have Nadia in our lives. She continues to awe and amaze us and we are so very lucky to be surrounded by her love and energy.

No comments: