Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!


I cried in zumba last night.


I had been working a second shift job this past month at the American Girl doll company which kept me from attending zumba every week. I wrapped all the little accessories and dolls and toys, and spent time in loose fill, packing the peanuts in the boxes and taping them closed before mailing. And every Tuesday night at work for those four weeks I thought about zumba. I missed it incredibly, I missed the freeing movements and hour of expression. Yes, I made some extra money for my family and I am grateful for that, and it was hard to be away from Bryan and Nadia each night at dinner time and bedtime. However, the hardest part of being away from my family was the "therapy" I was missing from zumba class.


Last night was long overdue. I worked out twice as hard, I moved twice as much, I sweat more than usual. It felt so good to be in my element again and push my body in a physical way. There were moments in class last night where I lost myself in the music, especially when my instructor had everyone move where they wanted in the room and dance how they wanted. It was just magical, to feel so free, to be so happy, to be in tune with my own body.


Class ended with a song by Josh Groban, called "Thankful." We cooled down, stretching our arms above our heads, to the side, behind our backs and working our legs. I was entranced by the words, that kept repeating, "We have so much to be thankful for." By the end of the song, all I could do was stand still, close my eyes, and cry. I was swept away by so many things in that moment and it has inspired me to get back on this blog and write for you all.


I encourage each and every person reading this to find your zumba. What is it that truly makes you happy? When is the time, if for only an hour a week, do you take the time to learn about yourself? Zumba is like therapy for me. It's relaxing and yet invigorating, it produces a wonderful high, it stretches me physically and mentally with learning new moves and choreography, it allows me to open up and express myself. It is a time when I can truly be ME. I just happen to be surrounded by others who feel the same way I do!


Besides zumba, I have found incredible happiness this year. I finished teaching for Stoughton schools this past June and have decided to be a stay at home mom ever since. I was incredibly lucky to meet and work with so many talented and caring teachers in that district. I am grateful to my students that put up with me for two years, who made it through some really stressful times with me without even knowing it. If I could have my own choir now with Tasha, Jordan, Alex, Theron, both Zach's, both Kris's, and Justina and Jalea and Catherine and McKenzie and Luke and Sam and Bre and Ashley (oh, Ashley!), I would be a very happy woman. If one of my eighth graders reads this and doesn't see their name, don't be offended. Teachers forget names but they never forget how you made them feel.


I got to go to Europe this past summer with the Chamber Singers from UW--Platteville. Bryan was unable to attend this time around but I look forward to the day he will join me. We sang first in Berlin, then around smaller areas of Germany, and finished in Prague in the Czech Republic. It was absolutely breathtaking! I was overwhelmed by the beauty of those countries, how friendly people were in general, the powerful history and the beautiful art and architecture. This trip was a music geek's dream! We sang in four completely different, absolutely breathtaking churches. We saw Bach's church in Leipzig (including where he was buried), the area in Halle where Handel lived and worked, and even rode on a boat on the Elbe River and hummed "The Moldau" by Smetana as we went.


Nadia turned a year old this past September and she is just amazing. She sings and hums to herself, she dances at least a dozen times a day, she helps around the house and puts things back where they belong. She has learned a dozen words this month (literally!) including chilly, waw-waw, noo-noo (noodle), up and down, ouch, apple, bib, cocoa, and more. She is incredibly entertaining to watch from an outsider's perspective. It is rewarding to see how quickly she learns, how smart she really is, how easy of a kid she seems to be. We are truly blessed to have Nadia as our daughter.


For the past four months I have been on LA Weight Loss and trying to take care of my body. I have lost 26.6 lbs so far and intend on losing quite a bit more. My goal is to be a size 8 at the Chilton Beer Fest on the third weekend of May. Keep cheering me on! I believe I will get there! I think I can, I think I can...


This fall I have been traveling down to Platteville once a week and singing again with Chamber Choir. I even got to go on their fall tour to the Fox River Valley. After sharing time with them at Retreat at the Sinsinawa Dominican Mound in September, I realized just how much I missed the ensemble and having singing in my life. We made the commute work as long as we could financially but our bills finally won the battle. I fully intend on singing with them again in the spring once I have a nighttime job, or once we win the lottery, whichever comes first.


And now Christmas is here and I am struck by how lucky I really am. I have a husband who loves me very much and a daughter who is cuter and smarter than most... I have Therese to hang out with and just be "normal" around. I have Jaci and Jim, the two most patient and loving in-laws a girl could ever have. I have CeCy and George and Lisa, who continually welcome me into their family. I have my mom, and Dad and Joy, and Dave and Liz, who are incredibly caring people in my life. I have Angie and Katrina, two of my closest friends that still make me laugh until I cry. I have Bob, and Chamber Choir, who provide tremendous comfort. I have a roof over my head, bills that are slowly but surely being paid, food on my table, clothing that fits reasonably well... I have this new body, and tremendous energy, and a drive to continue moving forward with my health and happiness. I am truly feeling happier and more and more comfortable in my own skin every single day.


For Christmas, give yourself the gift of honest happiness. Find your zumba. Find family that loves you to no end. Find friends that make you cry out of complete love and understanding as many times as they make you cry from awful jokes. Find YOU.


Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and warm winter wishes to everyone!

Love,

The Marks Family

No comments: